Please note this post may contain affiliate links. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, it will help keep this site up and running! I would never recommend a product or service I hadn’t personally tried and ultimately loved.
Chocolate cake anyone? How about chocolate cake with a Crunchie twist? Yes, please!! This cake is deliciously moist with the added delight of a little crunch, yummo!!
2 ½ Crunchie Bars, cut into pieces
1 Cup Butter
1 ½ Cup Sugar, (of choice)
2 ½ Cup Unbleached self-raising flour, (organic if possible)
1/2 Tsp Baking soda
1 ¼ Cup Buttermilk
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Crunchie chocolate bar, chopped
Gooey Chocolate Icing:
1 Cup Marshmallows (white preferably)
50 grams Dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
50 grams Milk chocolate, broken into small pieces
1 Tbsp Butter, cut in slivers
1 Crunchy bar, crushed
Like this recipe then check out my: Banana Chocolate Marble Cake
Instructions for crunchie cake:
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the crunchy bars (break them up into pieces first) with ½ cup of the butter, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the remaining 1/2 a cup of butter and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Using a wooden spoon mix in the flour and baking soda and add to the creamed butter and eggs alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gently mix in the cooled crunchie mixture, vanilla and roughly chopped crunchie.
- Turn into greased and floured Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until top springs back when touched lightly and a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. (Top will be quite dark.)
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan and cooling on wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, ice the cake with the decadent chocolate icing and a sprinkle over the crushed crunchy bar.
Instructions for Icing:
- Place a lightly greased glass bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water and allow to heat.
- Add the marshmallows and melt until smooth, approx. 5 – 10 minutes (this may depend on what brand of marshmallow you are using).
- Once the marshmallows are smooth, quickly add in butter and chocolate pieces. Mix through until chocolate and butter are melted and well blended.
- Ice your cake, immediately using a rubber spatula. You may find it a little easier if the rubber spatula is slightly greased as the icing is quite sticky and gooey.